Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day eight - Honor

Just like a knight in shining armor
From a long time ago
Just in time I will save the day
Take you to my castle far away
I am a man who will fight for your honor
I'll be the hero you're dreaming of........

This song has been in my head since I read that today's prayer topic would be honor. For me it is a bitter sweet song. It was played 14 years ago during my wedding. I so wanted to be marrying a man of honor who wanted to be my hero as much if not more so than my ex-husband wanted to be a man of honor. I truly believe he wanted to be a knight in shining armor but unfortunately for both of us he didn't know how. Still doesn't. I believe there are all sorts of reason for this some his fault but many are not. That's a blog for another day or maybe that's something he should put on his own blog ;0)

So where does this leave me as the single mother of a knight in shining armor in training? Let me tell you first of all how cool God is. He puts this innate desire in boys from the time they are little bitty to be protectors, warriors, princes! I can remember Tyson at three, he wouldn't dream of leaving the house without his pillow case tied around his neck in cape fashion. He was always ready to fight off any bad guys or dragons threatening our well being. Fast forward 11 years. He may not play dress up any more and he doesn't often carry his light saber in the waist band of his pants but the desire of his to be a man of honor has only grown. Tyson loves to read. If you go through his book library 99% of his books are about young ordinary boys who low and behold turn out the be extrodinary heros. (Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, Eragon, and Percy Jackson to name a few) I believe my role is to encourage this natural longing in Tyson. To help mold this desire in the appropriate direction. To teach him what God says a man of honor is and to show him examples of honorable men in God's word. To remind him about what it says in Phillipian 4:8 that whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. To not role my eyes when he insists on walking on the outside closer to the street or feels its his job to pump the gas for me. And also to pray for Tyson's future princess that she be all that this dragon slayer deserves.

I'm praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment