Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Confessions of a wanna be runner....I MEAN A RUNNER

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to be a runner. I don't know why but it sounds so cool to me! As much as I loved teaching my hip hop classes I am not much of a group fitness kind of gal. I love the thought of waking up each morning and going for a run before I start my day or coming home and running before starting my evening with the kids. Unfortunately it has been the thought of running that I have been in love with not the actual running!!! I have started and stopped couch to 5k three times. Regardless of how much I want to run deep down I have never thought I would be able to be a runner.

Last week during my weekly session with Beth, our fabulous employee health coach at work, I said something about wanting to be a runner. Beth said :you are a runner, you run don't you"? I said "you can hardly call what I am doing running". We have been working a lot on my negative self talk. I'm a work in progress. Beth said "do you run"? "Have you ran steps in your life"? I said "yes". She said "then you are a runner". "Say it". I mumbled, "I'm a runner". She wasn't convinced. "I'm a runne"r! It felt akward but good.

Tonight as I was doing week 4 day 1 of couch to 5k I started to doubt myself. For the first time I had to run 5 minutes straight. Probably doesn't sound like a lot to most people but to me it felt huge! During the warm-up I text my son. I don't think I can do this! TIME OUT! Have I told you how awesome my son is???
This is a picture of Tyson after he completed his first triathalon. His dedicaiton amazes and inspires me. When he makes up his mind to do something he does it. No matter what.

TIME IN! His response to me was "I believe in you" What a cool feeling. To be believed in. As I ran (hee hee, I ran) I kept saying to myself. "I can do this", "I AM a runner" What the heck??? Whose self talk is this? Surely not mine! But yes it was and guess what? I did do it!!!! Tyson came out for a run and lapped me twice but both times he threw his fist up in the air and gave me a huge smile. He was proud of me and I was proud of me! It's a new feeling. I think I could get used to it!

I can't wait to see Beth on Friday and tell her I'm a runner :0)

Here is a list of some of the songs that were pumping me up on my run tonight.

1. I look Good by Chalie Boy
2. My Chick Bad by Ludacris & Nicki Minaj
3. 6 foor 7 foot by Lil Wayne feat. Cory Gunz
4. Badonkadonk by Liquidsilva

I always down load the clean version! 

No comments:

Post a Comment